About this blog

Welcome to Speak Your Art Blog Hub. This blog combines posts from seven of my other blogs: In the Flow Studios Arts, In the Flow Studios Body, I Love Shelter Dogs, Mana Keepers, PaaMano Eskrima & Performing Arts, Self-Actualization thru Women's Empowerment and Speak Your Art Poetry. It brings my organizations together and offers my readers an easier way to follow new posts in one convenient location.

I hope you will find something that inspires you, empowers you or reminds you of the limitless possibilities that dwell within you. Thank you for visiting. I wish you Peace today and everyday.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Ke-ola in the hospital

It has been an incredibly challenging 12 hours. Ke-ola became lethargic after his dinner and antibiotics. I tucked him into his crate in front of the fireplace and let him sleep. He slept for a few hours and then I noticed he was shaking in his sleep. I knelt beside him and touched his forehead and poor boy was boiling. I placed his head in my hands as I'd done the night before and began to sing to him. But tonight instead of falling asleep in my hands he could barely open his eyes and his nose had runny bubbly mucus. He had no energy, he was fighting to stay alive. Roland, my husband, sat with him and prayed while I tried to contact ICARE. It was after midnight and I was sure I would not be able to reach anyone. To my surprise once again I.C.A.R.E. stepped up. (I apologize again to the many ICARE family I woke in the wee hours tonight but I really didn't think Ke-ola would make it to the morning. And I thank each of you for being so gracious and caring.) I was amazed when I heard back from Elvira and then Gabby. I explained his symptoms to Gabby and she told me to get him treated at the closest Urgent Care. I was to call her once I was there so she could make sure that Ke-ola was seen. My son, Kadante, had just gotten home from rehearsals and offered to go with me to take Ke-ola. Ke-ola could barely stand let alone walk at this point. Gabby graciously took calls from 2 am to 4am, she coordinated his care and made sure he was treated immediately at Crossroads Animal Emergency in Norwalk.
Ke-ola made it through the night thanks to
Dr. Moscony, Steve and the great staff at Crossroads.

Dr. Moscony and his staff were incredible! They admitted him immediately and began IV fluids and antibiotics. They were kind enough to work on stabilizing him and keeping him safe until morning so we could get him to Pet Hospital in Orange. They worked with us to provide life sustaining treatment and at the same time stay within a budget to help our rescue. We LOVE Crossroads! They saved our baby girl River when we first adopted her and now they have saved Ke-ola's life as well. A huge thank you from our pack to Crossroads Animal Emergency!

Kadante and I got home around 4am and tried to get a couple hours of sleep before taking Ke-ola from Crossroads to Pet Hospital later that morning. When we arrived at Crossroads we were amazed to see that Ke-ola was now able to walk and wag his poor battered tail at everyone he saw. We were over joyed! Here is a clip Kadante took of Ke-ola while we were on our way from Crossroads to Pet Hospital. He has the light back in his eyes.

Dr. Ross with Ke-ola.
Thank you Dr. Ross and Staff
Gabby coordinated everything for us and Dr. Ross was waiting for us at Pet Hospital in Orange. We were seen as soon as we arrived. Dr. Ross and staff were great with him. They showed him affection and had a genuine concern for his well being. It was difficult to hear he needed to be hospitalized for a few days but knowing he is in the care of the staff at Pet Hospital in Orange made it easier to leave him.

Ke-ola grateful for the love

We are grateful to all the wonderful people that worked so hard and gave so much to Ke-ola once again. This boy is very special. Everyone that meets him falls in love with him. He has a special gift that endears him to all that know him. He is still fighting for his life but we are confident that Ke-ola has the "Life Force" to sustain him through this battle and carry him to victory. And a big thank you to everyone online that sent positive thoughts, well wishes and prayers. I know Ke-ola can feel all the love and after being so neglected and hurt, I believe its all that love that is healing him. Thank you all again.

You can find us on Facebook:
Page https://www.facebook.com/iloveshelterdogs
Our page hopes to encourage more people to adopt not shop by sharing stories of successful shelter/rescue dog adoptions & useful info for a healthy dog.
Group  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1405355683042930/
This group is an open group for rescues, fosters, shelter staff, volunteers to post dogs in need of adoption, transport or rescue. Our group’s admin is not affiliated with any posts or posters nor do we have any further information about a post. We are merely offing another place online to help get dogs seen, safe and in their forever homes. 
Google +: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109405533286226395235

The backstory of our night...our trip to glory
“The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.” ~ Molière

I hadn't slept much the night before as I sat with Ke-ola watching him throughout the night. I was looking forward to getting some sleep but Ke-ola's health took a turn for the worse and needed professional attention. Kadante hadn't slept much either as he was just getting home as we were preparing the car for Ke-ola. We were on the road by 1am and on our way to Urgent Care. We had one mishap after another trying to get Ke-ola the care he so urgently needed. Our GPS sent us to the wrong "Animal Hospital" and it was closed. Once resetting the information and receiving the correct directions we found not one but two road blocks and could find no way around them. We decided to call Crossroads and ask for help. They were wonderful with us. They kept us on the phone while they looked for alternate routes on their computer. We finally found our way to them but what should have been a 10 minute trip had more than tripled. We were now more concerned than ever for Ke-ola's life.

Ke-ola with his foster brother, Kadante.
Once we had the opportunity to meet and speak with Dr. Moscony our fears were greatly relieved. We knew Ke-ola was in great hands and would be provided with the care he needed to make it through the night. Kadante and I looked forward to a quick trip home and getting a few hours sleep before coming back to get Ke-ola. The universe had other plans. We came across more detours and closed streets on the way home. Needless to say another 10 minute trip turned into 45. And to welcome us home in the wee hours of the morning, we found giant machines, road lights and a construction crew working diligently in front of our house. It was a special treat for me as my bedroom slider was directly above the activity. Thankfully they were done by 5am and I was able to catch an hour before heading back to Crossroads.

It was quite an adventure but in the end I received the ultimate reward, Ke-ola was alive and on his road to health and my son took me out for breakfast to celebrate. In my book, it really doesn't get much better than that.

Wishing you and your pack Peace, today and everyday. Thank you for visiting.


No comments:

Post a Comment